Take Back Our Voter Data
'Take Back Our Voter Data' is a campaign by Professor David Carroll, Parsons School of Design at The New School in New York. He used European data protection law in the UK to gain access his Cambridge Analytica voter file from the 2016 election. The campaign has the following aims:
- Help individuals assert their rights by requesting their data from SCL;
- Support the investigation being carried out by the UK Information Commissioner’s Office;
- Raising a legal defence fund. We need to protect individuals from risks of “adverse costs”. In the UK, if we are unsuccessful in the litigation, we have to pay the other side’s legal costs and we need to set up a sizable fund to ensure we are protected against such a large adversary.
- Take Back Our Voter Data, CrowdJustice, https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/scl/
- Hacking the Voters: Why a British company has America’s voter data and how British law can help us get it back, Medium, 30 September 2017, https://medium.com/@profcarroll/takebackourvoterdata-21768a756672